22 August 2015

The Dwarfs Have No Name?

The dwarf sunflowers tested this year were picked up in a big box store. Ferry-Morse labeled the packet as Sunflower Dwarf Sunspot. I have grown a Sunspot variety [posted 08.07.2007] in the past that was a dwarf, so this extra title Dwarf made me curious. Did the company have a giant named sunspot, too?

It seems, from looking at my description and photos from 2007, that this Sunspot is the same as the first dwarf sunflower tried back in 2008. The current plants happened to be planted in the same location as in 2007, and just as in 2007, are facing away from my yard towards the neighbor to the northeast. I am sure she enjoys them.

I will remind myself that these produce some radical seeds for the seed-lovin birds in the winter, if I can get to the seeds now before they do. The seed heads are packed to the gills, but the blooms were attractive with some great looking petals. Many of the large seed head types are just that -- with few or small unattractive petals.

Where's the Elf? I planted Elf sunflowers last year, but never reviewed them! The leftover seeds were grown this year so the next post will be about these dwarfs from Burpee -- two sunflower reviews in one year to make up for last year.

Past Dwarf Sunflower Reviews & Links:
2013 - Little Dorrit
2012 - Waooh
2012 - Big BLush
2009 - Incredible
2008 - Sunny Smile
2007 - Sunspot
For The Record:
  • Rich soil
  • Full sun
  • Small amount of fertilizer
  • No disease

Garden Calendar:
  • Blooming: rudbeckia, zinnia, cleome, marigold, moonflower, canna

0 comments:

Post a Comment